Galaxy Series Ultra Lightweight 1-2.4 KW Rugged True Online DC UPS
- Formally Qualified to MIL-STD-1399, MIL-STD-461, MIL-S-901, MIL-STD-167, MIL-STD-810, MIL-STD-740, DOD-STD-1399, (and RTCA/DO-160 – optionally.)
- Compact Chassis (1U – 3U Tall)
- Ultra Lightweight Design
- Power Factor Corrected Universal Input
- SNMP Communications
- Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries Available Optionally
- AC or DC Outputs Available
- True Online UPS Technology
- Double-Conversion UPS Systems
- Rack-Mount, Double-Conversion UPS Systems
- Rugged UPS System
- Military UPS System
- Popular Options
- System Compliance
- Data Sheets
WHEN EVERY POUND COUNTS! Nova’s Ultra Lightweight Galaxy-Series rugged, true online DC UPS systems are high-reliability power sources specifically designed for demanding applications in high shock, vibration, humidity, and EMI environments in compliance to MIL-STD-1399, MIL-STD-461, MIL-S-901, MIL-STD-167, MIL-STD-810, MIL-STD-740, DOD-STD-1399, and RTCA/DO-160. They supplement our comprehensive lineup of Ultra Lightweight Galaxy-Series rugged, true online AC UPS systems.
These UPS models utilize True Online technology, offering maximum field-proven reliability for severe environment and high reliability applications such as:
- Military Applications: Including HMMWV, UAV, Shipboard, Submarine, Aircraft, Mobile Power Units, Shelters, Transportable Systems, Tactical Systems, Ground Support, and more
- Heavy-Duty Industrial Applications
- Demanding Commercial Applications
- Communications Systems
These UPSs are among the lightest in the industry, thanks to their use of advanced Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries, which are contained in a retractable drawers for ease of service. Separate rack mount battery modules can be added to extend run time as required, from several minutes to several hours or more. Sealed, maintenance-free VRLA batteries are also available as standard, along with premium premium Cyclon cells for extremely wide temperature range and long life.
As you’d expect from Nova Electric, variations of this proven design have repeatedly passed formal qualification testing on a variety of military platforms including shipboard, vehicular, and airborne. Standards met include MIL-STD-1399, MIL-S-901, and MIL-STD-167 for shipboard, DO-160 for avionics, MIL-STD-461 for EMI, MIL-STD-740 Structureborne noise measurements, MIL-STD-810 for shock, vibration, and humidity, and other related standards.
The Ultra Lightweight UPS has a highly flexible design architecture which allows adaptation to practically all military applications. Its Power Factor Correction circuit allows compliance to the CE mark’s “Low Voltage Directive,” so it can operate on a wide input range from 100-250 Volts AC, on any standard frequency including 50, 60, or 400 Hz.
Many communication platforms are supported, including RS232, SNMP, RS485, and CANbus. A multitude of connectors are available, as are different types of chassis slides, and a host of other options to tailor the unit to unique applications as required.
Nova Electric’s Ultra Lightweight UPS are deployed in countless high profile military programs aboard Naval ships and submarines, on satellite trailers and mobile shelters, and military ground vehicles and aircraft, with a field-proven MTBF exceeding 100,000 hours. These units are the first choice for the world’s leading defense contractors including Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Raytheon Technologies, General Dynamics, DRS, BAE, L3Harris, all branches of the US Armed Forces, and US allied forces worldwide. Please contact us today for more information.
Partial Model SelectionDC Output Models - Replace "XX" in Model with required Nominal DC Voltage - 24, 28, and 280 VDC Available
|MODEL||KW||NOMINAL INPUT||INPUT (Amps)||UPS (Lbs)||RUN TIME||HEIGHT||OUTLINE||VIDEO|
- Input Voltage: 115 or 120/240 VAC Auto Ranging Standard (Select)
- Input Frequency: 50 / 60 Hz Auto Ranging Standard – 400 Hz Optional
- DC Output Voltage: 24, 28, or 280 VDC with centertap (specify)
- Voltage Regulation: ± 2% NL to FL
- Input Power Factor: 0.95 or Better @ half-full load
- Efficiency at full load: 80-85% @ full load typical (batteries charged)
110% load for 10 minutes
115% load for 5 minutes
120% load for 2 minutes
- Connections: MS Connector (mates opt.)
UPS Dimensions: 19″ Wide x 24″ Deep (See chart for height)
External Battery Dimensions (Typical):
5.25” high x 19” wide x 24” deep – Outline Drawing
Note: External batteries available on all models if increased run time is required – up to 24 hours.
UPS Operating Temp.:
-20° to +55°C (Extended ranges optional)
UPS Storage temperature range:
-40° to +71°C (Electronics Only – Extended ranges optional)
Humidity: 95% non-condensing per MIL-STD-810. All boards conformal coated with Acrylic MIL-I-46058 Type R.
15,000 Ft. (4,572m) operating;
40,000 ft. (12,192m) non-operating (higher optional)
20g, 11 mS half sinewave – Designed to meet MIL-STD-810
Less than 55 dbA at 5 ft.
- Standard sealed, maintenance free lead acid batteries have -20 to +50C storage range.
- Optional Premium sealed, maintenance free lead acid batteries have -40 to +80C operating range and useful life of 8-12 years @ +25C ambient.
- Optional Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries (as shown in units with “LiFe” model suffix) have -20 to +60C operating range and useful life of 8-10 years @ +25C ambient, but are much lighter than lead acid batteries and offer approximately twice the battery run time in the same volume battery pack.
- Note: Run time shown using standard batteries. Consult Factory for run times using premium batteries. For best results, batteries must be kept at 25 degrees Celsius ambient temperature. Extreme low temperatures will result in reduced run time, while extreme high temperatures result in significantly reduced battery lifespan. For more information, please read our Application Note –
- MTBF: 100,000+ hours per field data @ +25C Ambient Ground-Fixed
- MTTR: 30 minutes by qualified personnel
- 15,000 ft. (4,572 m) operating**
- 40,000 ft. (12,192 m), non-operating
**For batteries, please follow battery manufacturer instructions regarding recommended elevation parameters.
STANDARD REMOTE CONTACTS / COMMUNICATIONS
- SNMP V1.0 standard via CAT-5 Connector – V2.0 or 3.0 optional
- Major Alarm: Logic Fault, Low Battery, OT, UPS Overloaded.
- Minor Alarm: Utility Off
- RS 232 (Available-Optional) Via DB 9 Connector
- Alarm Contacts (Available-Optional)
STANDARD FRONT PANEL DIAGNOSTICS
- Charged: LED is on when UPS is running on battery and battery charger is off.
- UPS On: LED is on when the Remote On/Off switch is in the on position.
- Alarm Silence: Switch to silence the audio alarm. Alarm will sound again at next detection of fault.
- UPS On Batt: LED is on if UPS is running on battery power.
- UPS Fault: LED is on if the DC Output Stage in the UPS is not operational. There will be no output power in this condition.
- Fault Status: A set of LEDs to indicate fault in operating status of UPS. Under normal operation, all of these LEDs are off. If a fault is encountered, the corresponding LED will turn on. Multiple LEDs can turn on at the same time if multiple faults are detected. Detected Faults include: Low Battery, Input Fault, UPS Overload, and Overtemperature.
- Power Distribution Units
- MS Connector Mates and Multiple Output Outlets
- Chassis Slide Guides
- Internal Transfer Switch (Static or Electromechanical)
- Rugged Transit Cases and Custom Enclosures
- Additional Run Time via External Batteries
- Premium VRLA Batteries with Up to 12 Year Life
- 400 Hz Input
- LiFe Models Feature Internal Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries for Substantial Weight Savings and Longer Runtime, Including Embedded Battery Management System
- CAD Free Connectors
- Non-PVC wiring
- High IP Protection for front / rear panels
- RTCA/DO-160G Compliant Aircraft Grade Package
- Environmental Stress Screening Services
MIL-STD-1399 Section 300B: For Type I apparatus (Single Phase Input Models Only)
MIL-STD-740-1: Airborne Sound Measurements for Shipboard Equipment
MIL-STD-740-2: Structureborne Vibratory Acceleration Measurements
Additional Ruggedization to meet MIL-S-901, MIL-STD-167, MIL-STD-810, and DOD-STD-1399: The UPS System’s construction is extremely robust, and ruggedized throughout. All components and modules within the unit are mounted using additional steel brackets and heavy-duty stainless-steel hardware, which is then further secured using Loctite and RTV where required. All boards are conformal-coated (Acrylic MIL-I-46058 Type R) for maximum resistance to potential condensation and fungus growth.
MIL-S-901D for Grade A, Class II, Type B Equipment (mounted in shock-isolated rack attenuating to 20g/11ms max)
MIL-STD-167-1 for Type I Equipment
· Air Temperature per MIL-STD-810F Method 502.4, Procedure II
· Steady State Temperature per MIL-STD-810F, Method 501.4, Procedure I (Constant Temperature) and Method 502.4, Procedure I
· Temperature Shock per MIL-STD-810F, Method 503.4, Procedure II, Cyclic.
· Thermal Shock testing per MIL-STD-810G, Method 503.5, Procedure I-D
Operating Temperature Shock per MIL-STD-810B Method 503 0 to 71°C
· High Temperature Storage per MIL-STD-810G, Method 501.5, Procedure I
· Low Temperature Storage testing per MIL-STD-810G, Method 502.5, Procedure I
· High Temperature Operating per MIL-STD-810G, Method 501.5, Procedure II
· Low Temperature Operating per MIL-STD-810G, Method 502.5, Procedure II
· Operational Humidity per MIL-STD-810F Method 507.4.
· Humidity per MIL-STD-801G, Method 507.5, Procedure I
· Storage and Transportation Humidity per MIL-STD-810F, Method 507.4
· Salt Fog Atmosphere per MIL-STD-810F Method 509.4
· Altitude per MIL-STD-810F, Method 500.4, Procedure I, Storage/Air Transport.
· Operating and Non-Operating Altitude Testing per MIL-STD-810G, Method 500.5, Procedure II
· Rapid Decompression per MIL-STD-810F, Method 500.4, Procedure III
· Transit Shock per MIL-STD-810F, Method 516, Procedures IV, V and VI
· Transportation Vibration per MIL-STD-810F, Method 514.5, Procedure II for loose cargo transportation
· Transportation Vibration per MIL-STD-810G, Method 514-6, Procedure I, Category 20
· Vibration per MIL-STD-810B Method 514.6, Category 12, Procedure I
· Transit Drop per MIL-STD-810F, Method 516.5, Procedure IV
· Transit Drop per MIL-STD-810G, Method 516.6, Procedure IV
· Bench Handling per MIL-STD-810F, Method 516.5, Procedure VI
· Bench Handling per MIL-STD-810G, Method 516.6, Procedure VI
DOD-STD-1399 Section 301A Table V – Design Limits for Ship Motion
Internal EMI Reduction Package to meet MIL-STD-461: The Ultra Lightweight UPS Systems shown herein are designed to comply with the requirements of MIL-STD-461E using shielded input, output, and data cables. Test data to other revisions of MIL-STD-461 is available for select models. (If the input and output cables are not shielded, additional filtering may be required for full compliance to MIL-STD-461.) All single-phase input units in this series are equipped with active Power factor Correction which allows full compliance to the input current requirements of MIL-STD-1399 and the CE101 limit of MIL-STD-461.
Please note: Not all models and choices of input voltages and output voltages shown in the model chart have been formally tested for each of the following MIL-STD-461E parameters shown below. In such cases, Nova cannot guarantee full compliance without a formal testing program for your specific UPS configuration, available optionally. Please consult the factory for details.
MIL-STD-461E: CE101, CE102, CS101, CS114, CS116, RE102, RS101, and RS103
OPTIONAL Compliance to RTCA/DO-160G: Select units were tested successfully by Boeing and Rockwell Collins to meet RTCA/DO-160G for:
- Rapid Decompression: Section 4 Cabin Pressure (8K) to Max Operating Alt (35K) in 15 sec; Hold for 10 min
- Crash Safety Sustained: Section 7, Cat B – Up = 3.0g – Down = 6.0g – Fwd = 9.0g – Aft = 1.5g – Side =4.0g
- Explosive Atmosphere: Non-Ignition Test Sec. 9.6.2, Cat E
- Humidity: Section 6, paragraph 6.3.1 (Category A)
- Random Vibration Testing: Section 8 (Category R, Fixed-Wing), paragraph 8.7.2, Figure 8-1: Aircraft Type 2, Test Category S, Zone 2, Curve B
- Operational Shock Testing: Section 7 (Category B), paragraph 7.2, Standard operational, Peak value 6 g, Nominal duration 11 ms.
Note: Qualification testing on select models was performed with optional premium batteries required to meet temperature testing requirements. Please consult factory for details.